Wednesday, January 12, 2011

UAlbany's Black being more aggressive

ALBANY - Coach Will Brown stopped Mike Black before the game and told his sophomore point guard that he needed to take more shots.

Black shot 8-for-14 and scored a team-high 18 points for the Great Danes (1-3, 8-11) in a 66-64 loss to Maine.

"The past couple of games, I really haven't taken a lot of shots," Black said. "Today, he pulled me aside and told me to be aggressive and do whatever it takes to get the 'W'."

Brown said he wants his three perimeter players (Black, Logan Aronhalt and Tim Ambrose) to each take at least 10 shots per game.

If you were surprised that freshman Ralph Watts took one of the final shots, I was too (a little, at least).

"Right now, he's trying to figure out, because we've had him playing a lot of point guard, when do I attack, when don't I attack," Brown said. "The one thing he's been doing well, in practice, is getting into the lane, so I thought for sure he could get into the lane and he's a good passer. I think he was shocked. He was five feet from the basket, he has a nice little floater."

Brown said he turned to his staff after Watts missed and said 'Bad Call'. His assistants told him it was a five-footer and they have to take that every time.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home