Monday, November 8, 2010

Danes news & notes from media day

Here are some other notes from UAlbany basketball media day.

Gary Holway ('59) will be honored at Friday's game. He was the all-time leading scorer in UAlbany history until some guy named Jamar came along. Holway finished his career with 1,851 points. Jamar scored 2,164.

The main thing I heard from players I spoke with about the upcoming season was - defense.

The team expects to be much better on that end of the floor.

Coach Will Brown even said the team is better on defense right now than it was in February, at the end of last season.

The players seem to fully believe that Coach Brown can lead them back to the top of the America East standings.

“I think Coach Brown really knows what he’s doing with this team and he’s got it set up to put us in the best position to win,” said sophomore forward Blake Metcalf.

The other thing I took away from media day, was how much different the women's program is being run.

In Tuesday's article, you can read a lot on coach Katie Abrahamson-Henderson. I'll tell you this. She is one intense coach.

Here's a good example.

"They know that hard work is an absolute. You can't be on our team or around our program, if you're not going to work hard."

I will work harder - as I assume her team will. I'm anxious to see them play on Friday against Brown.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home