Monday, November 8, 2010

UAlbany PG Black's back feeling better

ALBANY - One player I got a chance to speak to at UAlbany basketball media day on Monday was sophomore Mike Black.

Black became the starting point guard last season, after the departure of Mike Johnson.

Black averaged 7.2 points and 2.4 assists per game as a freshman and the expectations are only getting bigger.

"He's a guy that I'd be shocked if he wasn't a consistent double figure scorer for us," UAlbany coach Will Brown said. "If he's not than I just think he's not taking enough shots."

Black missed five days of practice recently with back spasms, something that he said isn't a problem anymore.

"It's good," said Black, who starting having back issues over the summer. "I'll be ready for Friday."

Black and the rest of the Great Danes take on Cornell (I'll have more on the Big Red this week) on Friday in the 2010-11 season opener.

Brown said Black played well in Saturday's scrimmage, so hopefully it won't continue to be an issue.

Starting his second season, Black says he feels much more comfortable with the offense and his role.

He said his high school team didn't run too many plays, so that was a definite change last season.

"My mind was going everywhere," he said. "I'm a lot more comfortable now."

More on media day after I finish the story for the paper.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home