Thursday, November 12, 2009

Aronholt's return

You can't fault UAlbany freshman Logan Aronholt for being a little nervous when put in front of the media this afternoon before the team's weight training.

Without diving into it too much, Aronholt took a couple takes to get going, but hey, it's been 18 months (before the Syracuse game) since he's even played.

“It was definitely exciting playing there,” said Aronholt about playing at the Carrier Dome on Monday. “I’m really excited to play here at home.”

The 6-foot-3 Zanesville, Ohio, product, who will be in the mix tonight when UAlbany opens up their home season against Morgan State, said he was quite nervous stepping on the floor in front of 15,000 people.

“It was nerve-racking,” Aronholt said. “I was so nervous, but I went out there and I thought I played hard. I wanted to be aggressive because I didn’t think we were aggressive enough in the first half.”

Arnoholt has endured a series of issues with his foot since arriving at UAlbany and it was tough on him missing an entire season.

“The toughest thing was watching guys and thinking, I can do this," Aronholt said. "I thought I could really help the team last year, but I didn’t get the chance.”

Aronholt was expected to play a role last year as a freshman, but the injuries have set him so far back that UAlbany coach Will Brown is just hoping he'll be back in the swing by conference time.

“He did some nice things (against Syracuse), but he still has a ways to go,” Brown said. “He realizes that, we understand that. My goal all along was for him to get himself back into the swing of things by conference play.”

Aronholt says his foot feels better and he is wearing orthotics in his shoe, but still may have to miss a practice every once in a while, if there is any pain.

Scott Aronholt, Logan's father and high school coach at Zanseville High, east of Columbus, was able to travel the nearly eight hours to the Carrier Dome, along with some of his assistant coaches.

“That was pretty exciting for him to be there for my first real college game,” Aronholt said.

It's been difficult for Aronholt this year, between trying to prove himself to his teammates and earning playing minutes, but he's still enjoying himself.

“I’m working for time against the veterans and against the new guys,” Aronholt said. “It’s hard being out there every day, but it’s a lot of fun.”

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home