Thursday, October 29, 2009

The dirt on the Danes with David McCarty

I decided to check in with senior running back David McCarty because he's listed as questionable for Saturday's big road game against Central Connecticut State.

McCarty, the school's all-time leading rusher, has suffered a laundry list of injuries this season, but is considering himself a go for the game.

DM: "We just have to win the game and if that means me staying out or playing, either or, for the benefit of the team I just want to win another (championship) and be on my merry way."

Do you have to be out there in this important game?

DM: "I'm more than confident they can do it by themselves. We have a lot of threats down field with receivers, Vinny (Esposito) can throw the ball wherever he wants to and I'm very glad that I have a running back like (Justin) Gannon behind me, so they're more than capable to do it."

What happened on the play you hurt yourself on against Monmouth?

DM: "My toe got stuck in the turf and two guys came down on top of it. It's just one of those things that happens a lot in football. Then, when I came down, I just came down awkwardly on my wrist. That's unfortunate, but something that you have to overcome with football, it's a physical sport."

McCarty gave a lot of credit to assistant athletic trainer Joe Tegnander.

DM: "I give him all the credit in the world. He's a great guy who knows his stuff. He's been with me for my wrist, my ankle, my hamstring, my hip. He's been there for anything, so I have to give all the credit to him.

What is the worst of the injuries that you've suffered this year?

DM: "Everything is just a nagging injury, which makes it so I can't play. It's not so excruciating that I need surgery or something else, it's just an injury that doesn't hurt, but when you need to run on it or you need to make a cut on it, it hurts. Like a hip pointer, if I just sat in bed, it wouldn't hurt me, but if I had to make a cut or had to make a run, it would kill."

McCarty was then asked about his alma mater, La Salle Institute losing in the first round of the Section II Class AA sectionals to Guilderland.

"When I read that on the way back from Monmouth, I couldn't believe it. I was very surprised, but Coach (Al) Rapp is one of those people who knows that any team can be beaten on any given day. It's not always the best team that wins."

How frustrating has it been to have your senior season be slowed by these injuries?

DM: "It's been injury after injury. I can never seem to keep a good rhythm. It takes a lot out of your moral because you can't practice and one thing that I believe in is you practice the way you play and if you're not practicing, you're not going to be able to play that well on Saturday. It's really demoralizing because you're always having to worry about something when you should be worrying about the next opponent."

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Andrew for the update and the continued great coverage of UAlbany Football!

October 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home