Friday, October 23, 2009

Ubiles feeling better

LOUDONVILLE - Edwin Ubiles came around the corner off the ARC at Siena wearing a heating pad over his left shoulder.

The 6-foot-6 senior has been dealing with a sore shoulder for a few weeks, but it is feeling quite better.

Friday was the third day in a row Ubiles has practiced after missing the first few days, but he has been limited a little.

"I'm just trying to take it easy so I won't re-injure it and be out for even longer," Ubiles said. "It feels pretty good when I'm playing. It doesn't really bother me when as much."

Ubiles is still getting treatment on the shoulder and easing his way back into play so he will be ready for the season opener, which is three weeks from today.

"It's a little frustrating," said Ubiles, who added shoulder gets a little sore after practicing. "Of course, I want to be able to go out there at full strength, but injuries happens sometimes, so right now I just have to deal with it, keep going in the training room and hopefully it will be 100 percent soon."

Ubiles is still psyched for this, his senior season to begin.

"I couldn't wait for this time all summer," Ubiles said. "I'm just happy that it's here and I'm just looking forward to that first game and looking forward to doing what we need to do during the season."

With the MAAC Media Day on Tuesday, Ubiles could be named preseason player of the year, but he's not too concerned about it.

"I'm pretty sure a lot of us want it, but that's something that comes along with being a team player and not really thinking about yourself and that happens on its own," said Ubiles

Some other observations from Friday's practice.
  • Veteran assistant Mitch Buonaguro is running practice because Fran McCaffery is recovering from a minor surgery. "I'm gonna enjoy this," Buonaguro said to me about running practice. Buonguro was a coach at Fairfield from 1985-91 and has coached in more than 1,000 career games. McCaffery is expected back on Monday.

  • Assistant coach Andrew Francis spent a lot of time before practice with freshman Davis Martens working on low post moves. Martens isn't allowed to play for the first 12 games, but once he's in, it looks like he'll be able to make an impact.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home