Thursday, January 5, 2012

Siena's Rakeem Brookins back on the court

J.S. Carras/The Record
LOUDONVILLE - For all of the bad news Siena fans have received this season, it's possible the new year has brought something positive the Saints' way.

Sophomore Rakeem Brookins was back on the practice floor on Thursday, not ready for live action, but dribbling and shooting.

"It's definitely a step in the right direction," said Brookins, who averaged 9.0 points and 4.3 assists per game last season, as a freshman. "I'm happy to be back and anxious to be playing, but the coaches are babysitting me a lot. I just have to take it one step at a time."

Brookins traveled with the team down to New York, for Tuesday's game against Iona.

"It's great that we have him back, supporting the team," said Siena coach Mitch Buonaguro.

Brookins hopes to be back practicing with the squad, at some point at during the second semester.

"I hope so," he said. "I believe I'll be able to practice with these guys."

Brookins spent much of his time back home, trying to stay busy. He would go watch his friend, Maalik Wayns, play for Villanova or go watch former Siena guard Jonathan Breeden, playing for Division II West Chester, where Brookins' cousin goes to school. .

"It was just different back home," Brookins said.

He still has some therapy sessions to finish and had been rehabbing twice a week at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital, but it's been a long road so far.

"It's been frustrating me a lot, especially in the beginning," Brookins said. "It was hard for me. I was watching the guys play and I wanted to be on the court with them so bad."

Brookins did have positive words for the guy who has been filling his spot on the squad, freshman Evan Hymes.

"Hymes is doing a great job and I'm proud of him."

Brookins is eager to return to action, so that he and Hymes can combine for a speedy backcourt.

"It's going to be a very quick and interesting backcourt and I can't wait," he said

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home