Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Siena Sneak Preview

There was a nice turnout tonight at the Siena Sneak Preview.

While it's still about two months until games begin, it's nice to see that there is some thirsting for college hoops.

The men's and women's team were both introduced to the crowds on Wednesday night.

I was impressed that men's coach Fran McCaffery made it a point to single out Ronald Moore and say that this team is his this season.

I was then impressed with the maturity (not that I didn't expect it) from Moore in his answers about the subject.

“It’s definitely a great honor, but at the same time, I know that I’m not the only captain out there because I have other senior leadership out there with me,” Moore said.

Other things of note:
  • Ryan Rossiter got the loudest cheers when McCaffery said he has bulked up to 235 pounds
  • McCaffery said that Kyle Downey was recovering from an injury he sustained over the summer
  • McCaffery said that Justin Smith, a walk-on from East Greenbush, who is 26 years old, could be the best defensive guard the team has

My favorite quote from McCaffery was "Our days of sneaking up on anyone are over and we know that."

McCaffery told the media he has been "very impressed" with the freshman class and thinks the addition of Davis Martens was a great final sign.

McCaffery told me that living up to the expectations will be hard, but they are good expectations to have.

“It is going to be hard to go (to the NCAA Tournament) every year because the other teams are so good,” McCaffery said. “I think what we have to come to expect is that we’re going to be challenging every year and we’re going to have a shot and then what we have to do is schedule appropriately so that if we stumble in the conference tournament, we’re still looking at an NIT bid."

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home