Friday, December 7, 2007

Early Season Hoops....and more

Wow. We are less than two weeks into the winter season and already tons has gone on.

First, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the retirement of George Mardigan from his long-time post as the Watervliet boys basketball coach. Mardigan coached the first the first two games and since he made his decision has been laying low.

I knew George for only two seasons, but I was fortunate enough to be in Glens Falls earlier this year, when Mardigan was enshrined in the New York Basketball Hall of Fame. Some may not have agreed with his tactics on the sideline, but there can be no question that he got the most out of his players.

At 63, he certainly has earned the right to ride off into the sunset knowing he's done everything there is to do on a basketball sideline.

On to the games - Bishop Maginn won by 60 points - no don't scratch your eyes, the score was 103-43 over Albany. It's amazing that after losing, The Record's 2006-07 Player of the Year and a player who led the Golden Griffins to the Class AA State Title game in Talor Battle, the Golden Griffins could be better this time around. Battle is starting for Penn State and yet, his teammates haven't missed a beat.

The Albany Academy boys team is also off to a great start. The Cadets have size, strength and speed. They will also be put to the test this season as they have scheduled a trip to Texas for a tournament and a out of section game against state power Peekskill at Siena College.

The Bishop Maginn girls team is also off to a quick start. The Griffins look like, after they defeated Catholic Central on Tuesday, they will contend for a Big 10 championship with CCHS and Amsterdam.

Now you may be wondering what was the more part in the subject of this blog entry. Well, as much fun as I've had covering the local high school scene the past 15 months, I will be moving up the ranks to cover the college scene here in the Capital District.

This doesn't mean you'll want to stray away from my blog, which I will now update with Siena and UAlbany hoops information and any other college info on my mind, but I will also continue to keep tabs on the local high school scene and will try to keep things interesting and informative.

I will also, I'm sure be covering high school events when the postseason rolls around and in fact, I'm covering a girls' basketball game tomorrow evening - so I won't be far away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home