Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Coach Buonaguro defends Kyle Downey

J.S. Carras/The Record
LOUDONVILLE - Siena coach Mitch Buonaguro has gone on the defensive about senior guard Kyle Downey twice in the past 24 hours.

Downey hit two go-ahead shots in last night's 65-62 upset victory over Iona.

"I know last year, he came under a lot of unfair criticism," Buonaguro said at Monday's meeting witht he media. "He even said it to me."

Downey is averaging 13.2 points and 5.1 rebounds per game, but has still been looked at by some fans as a role player.

Last season, Downey even got booed at home on a couple of different instances.

"I can't accept that," Buonaguro said. "No one should boo Kyle Downey for what he reprsents. I don't care how bad he plays."

Buonaguro said he was passionate about defending Downey because of all the hard work he's put in.

"I come to his defense because whatever he does, good or bad, he represents was a student-athlete should represent in college," Buonaguro said. "He's a great student. He worked extremely hard in the offseason, harder than any player on the team. He backs me up for everything I do. He's a great leader. He's a great guy for me to have in the locker room. I'm going to defend him to the hill."

Downey has proven this season that he is an impact player and he has been a significant part of the Saints playing so well.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home