Tuesday, February 8, 2011

UAlbany's Brown knows about MSG

ALBANY - Will Brown knows what it's like to play at Madison Square Garden.

The University at Albany coach got a chance to play their twice as a collegiate player.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any pictures of him playing for Penn or Dowling College, so the one on the left will have to do.

“It’s just a great experience,” he said Tuesday, before his team's practice. “I’m a Long Island guy, so I’m very familiar with the Garden.”

Some of the UAlbany players have never been to Madison Square Garden and never even been to New York City, like sophomore Mike Black.

"I'm just excited to go down there," Black said.

Brown went to events at MSG growing up.

“I went to pro wrestling events there, when I was a little kid,” he said. “Islander/Rangers games. I’ve been there several times, but playing there is different. You walk in and you look around. You just can’t caught up in all of that.”

It's those games, at great venues, that players remember throughout their careers.

“I was fortunate,” Brown said. “I got a chance to play at Rupp Arena, Rick Pitino’s first game at Kentucky. I got a chance to play at the Garden. Those are things you remember. You ask guy like Brent Wilson or Brian Lillis, playing in Cameron Indoor Stadium (Duke), playing in Pauley Pavilion (UCLA), those are things they remember."

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home