Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ubiles finishing degree, rehabbing leg

LOUDONVILLE - There was a familiar face at Siena practice on Thursday afternoon.

Former star Edwin Ubiles was suited up and mixed in with the current players looking at something assistant coach Craig Carter was drawing on a dry-erase board.

With the Spring semester starting (I know it's too cold for it to be called spring), Ubiles is back in school trying to finish up his degree.

He's just a few classes shy of picking up his bachelors in Creative Arts.

"I thought it'd be good, while I'm out to get that done, have that paper," he said.

Ubiles' pro career has been put on hold as he rehabs a stress fracture in his right tibia.

"I took a little bit longer than I expected to get back," he said. "The best thing for me, right now, is to be patient and keep working."

Ubiles, who was part of three MAAC title winning teams at Siena, said he's not sure exactly when the injury occurred.

"It didn't bother me until towards the end of my career, here at Siena," he said. "Fortunately I caught it when I did."

Ubiles, who said he's in "decent shape," said he is trying to rehab to possibly make a run at playing in the NBDL, or overseas.

"I want to make sure I go in there ready to go, so I can perform at my best," he said.

Ubiles also has twin girls, Laila and Thalia, who are growing up fast and will turn two in April.

"The kids are getting big now and running all over the place," he said.

Bring around the program and seeing some familiar faces are two things that Eddie has missed.

"It's fun," Ubiles said. "I definitely miss it. It's an experience to remember."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home