Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Duell getting back in the groove

ALBANY - Siena senior co-captain Josh Duell was pretty pleased with the way he played Monday night in the Saints' 77-60 victory over MAAC rival Marist.

"I felt good shooting and good running up and down the court," said Duell, who hit two 3-pointers and played 17 minutes.

This rivalry is special for Duell, whose freshman year roommate at the University of Vermont, Ryan Schneider is on the other side, wearing Marist red and white.

Duell told me earlier in the week that it's been hard for Schneider, who has played for four coaches in five seasons (Tom Brennan and Mike Lonergan at Vermont and Matt Brady and Chuck Martin at Marist) to find a rhythm.

Schneider was apparently throwing up on the bus on the way up to Albany for this evening's game, but that didn't slow him too much.

The red-shirt senior finished with team-highs in points (11) and rebounds (7).

“He’s a tough kid,” Duell said. “He’ll do whatever he has to do to play basketball, that’s how he’s always been.”

Duell said that Brennan, who was part of the 5,351 in the crowd tonight helped him with his shot as did older brother Rob, who got to get on the floor tonight, too.

The eldest Duell took part in the Northeastern Fine Jewelry contest and showed off his stroke, making a couple of three's and then knocking one down from NBA range to rack up what I thought was $280 (I wasn't quite sure of the exact total).

Josh had a tough time keeping a straight face on the sideline even though Siena was trailing 53-51 at the time.

“He taught me the stroke,” the younger Duell said. “He was always a good shooter in high school and I never was in high school."

Rob played basketball at Niskayuna High School and then played baseball at Sacred Heart University, while Josh played prep ball at Christian Brothers Academy in Colonie.

As for Josh's key for the 20-2 run to end the game.

“I think we just picked up our energy level,” Duell said.
________________

Sophomore forward Ryan Rossiter
said he was pretty much back to 100 percent before tonight's game, he just didn't have the energy he needed in the first half.

“I just didn’t have it early on,” Rossiter said. “He (Coach Fran McCaffery) asked me if I was all right and I told him I was fine.”

Rossiter said he gave it his all for McCaffery in the second half.

“He’s the most honest coach I’ve every played for,” Rossiter said. “He told me, straight up, I wasn’t bringing it and I took it personal and tried to go out there and give him everything he needed.”

Rossiter did add that he would "live" in the training room for the eight days Siena has off (at least while he's not taking finals).
____________

Junior forward Alex Franklin
led the way tonight with 22 points and eight rebounds.

I asked Franklin after the game is the fact that anybody can have a big night (i.e. four different leading scorers so far this season) the main reason why the Saints are so hard to play against.

“That’s why I love being on this team,” Franklin responded. “We’re so deep that any given night, somebody can go off.”
_____________

As for the 20-2 run to end the game and 16-0 run to break it wide open, I asked senior co-captain Kenny Hasbrouck what he thought about holding the Red Foxes to two points over the final 11:06.

“I didn’t know that,” Hasbrouck responded. "I'm just out there playing."

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home