Thursday, October 2, 2008

Eren Savasli feature

Below is a story on RPI senior wide receiver Eren Savasli that ran on Tuesday (9/30).

Andrew Santillo
The Record


TROY — For Eren Savasli staying focused is key.

The Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute senior wide receiver had the biggest day of his career last Saturday, when he posted career-highs in receptions (10), receiving yards (174) and touchdowns (3) as the Engineers defeated rival WPI 35-21.

A Dean’s List management student in addition to being an athlete, Savasli, has to keep himself in top shape both mentally and physically.

It’s a task that becomes tougher for the Brooklyn native because as a Muslim, Savasli fasts from dawn to sunset during the month of Ramadan, as instructed by one of the five commandments of the Islamic Religion.

“The toughest thing is it just wears you down,” Savasli said. “Physically, your body is worn down throughout the day, especially having a full load of classes and school work.”

Ramadan, which ends today, is a month-long religious observance in which Muslims ask forgiveness for past sins, pray for guidance and try to purify themselves through self-restraint and good deeds.

“It teaches me not to take things for granted,” Savasli said. “My whole life I’ve been very fortunate in the fact that I’ve had water and food at will. Through this I’m able to see what it’s like for those less fortunate, who have to go through the day not being able to eat or drink.”

Growing up, Savasli’s dream was to play professional basketball and he idolized long-time Houston Rockets center Hakeem Olajuwon, also a Muslim, for his dedication to his faith.

“When I was playing (sports) in high school, people would ask me about (my beliefs) and I just thought to myself, if Hakeem Olajuwon can do it in the NBA, why can’t I,” Savasli said.

Ramadan, which moves up approximately 11 days a year in the Gregorian calendar, has fallen during the football season since Eren was in high school at Brooklyn Tech.

“When I first started, it was obviously a little tougher,” said Savasli about fasting. “My body has adjusted throughout the years and I’ve gotten a little more used to it. It’s just part of my belief and what I’ve been doing for the last eight years.”

Recruited for basketball, a sport he may aspire to play professionally overseas after college, and football, Savasli chose RPI as soon as he got to campus and decided to concentrate on the gridiron.

Head coach Joe King knew about Savasli’s fasting and while he was initially concerned for Savasli’s health during practices, he says it hasn’t been a big deal.

“I don’t think he’s ever missed anything in four years,” King said.

Savasli used to fast during game days in high school, but since his freshman season and after thinking it over, he has elected to eat and drink only on game days to make sure he can compete.
“I think it was the right choice to make,” said Savasli, who talked it over with his parents. “If I did fast during game days at the college level, I wouldn’t be able to compete to my peak performance.”

Those aren’t lost days though.

This season, three games fell during Ramadan, so Savasli will fast three extra days this week to make them up.

“It’s a rewarding process,” said Savasli of the patience he has learned from observing the holiday. “I’m not doing it because I have to. I’m doing it because I truly believe in it.”

Throughout his four years at RPI, many of his teammates have learned about Eren and his beliefs, including fellow senior and quarterback Jimmy Robertson.

“Jimmy’s been there for four years,” said Savasli of his roommate. “He’s seen me wake up at 6 a.m., freshman year in the door room, to get some food before the sun rises.”

Savasli’s beliefs are something that he holds close to him and just as important as academics and athletics.

“I try to do as much as I can and not compromise one for the other,” Savasli said.

Savasli looks at practice, which typically occurs from 4-6:30 p.m. as his last hurdle of a long day.

“That’s the culmination of the day,” Savasli said. “When I get to practice, from there I just give it my all for two and a half hours and then I can eat and drink. That’s how I look at it every day.”

Savasli’s dedication to his faith has drawn praise from teammates and coaches alike.

“It just shows you that he’s someone who has really strong beliefs,” King said. “That’s part of what makes him a special human being.”

This season, the 6-foot-3 Savasli, who has 107 career receptions, has emerged into one of the Engineers top offensive threats.

“We just need to find ways to get him the ball,” King said. “He’s made plays for us for four years now.”

Savasli is hoping that his team will continue to succeed and he will continue to perform like he did against WPI.

“I had a pretty good day,” Savasli said with a smile. “I was pretty happy with it.”

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home