Thursday, January 24, 2008

UAlbany has a Bear of a Game; Martin Plays Briefly

The University at Albany men's hoop team doesn't have a basketball game for a week.

Before Wednesday's game against Maine that may have been looked at as a good thing.

Now, I'm not so sure.

The Great Danes let another game slip through their grasp, turning a 12-point lead with 11 minutes to go into a 11-point deficit.

UAlbany coach Will Brown said he would send his team a message by making them start Friday's practice by running one suicide sprint for every percent the Black Bears shot over 40 percent.

Maine shot 22-for-34 or 64.7%. By my math, that's 25 suicide sprints - to begin practice.

Yikes.

The loss made for consecutive home league losses for the first time since January of 2005 when the Great Danes lost to Boston University and Northeastern (no longer in the America East).

Anyway, UAlbany better be ready next Wednesday because they're traveling to first place University of Maryland-Baltimore County.

One thing that was a positive for the Great Danes was that freshman point guard Josh Martin played 2:53 of the first half, while wearing a big purple knee brace.

Here's what Brown had to say about Martin.
"I just wanted to get him in. I wasn't going to play him, that was my initial reaction. He had asked me if I would play him and he said he felt good. Our training staff said that if I could get him in, it might be good. I put him in for a couple minutes, he was winded right away. I didn't want to put him in a bad position. The game was tight, it was a struggle, we weren't playing well and the kids not 100% and I just didn't want to put him in a position where he would be exposed or we would need to rely on him at all. I thought he was okay for the three minutes he was in there."

Brown told the media that Martin told Assistant Coach Jeremy Friel at halftime that he felt good and wanted to play in the second half, but Brown elected not to play him.

The week off should be good for Martin and give him some time to get ready for next week's game.

The week off better be good for the rest of the players since the season has been as Brown compared it, a roller-coaster ride and the the ups and down have left some of the UAlbany players feeling sick at times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home